Darker Still (Magic Most Foul Series)

Darker Still: A Novel of Magic Most Foul - Leanna Renee Hieber The moment i read the summary, i just knew i would love it. I love how it incorporates some of my classical favorites, especially The Picture of Dorian Gray. I was having my usual doubts from time to time, if it was going to be good, but i'm really glad it is. The way the author weaved all this different aspects into one YA paranormal plot and added her own twists was exceptional.

Our main character, Ms. Natalie Stewart is mute, due to trauma of her mother's death when she was young and his father then sent her to an asylum. Upon getting back, her diary has become her companion. The story is also told this way, through her writing which makes complete sense since she is mute and most of the communication is told through her writing. She gets very taken with the portrait of Lord Denbury, who died young and she feels "supernatural" vibes around it. Things get stranger when she starts seeing how the main in the painting move around. After realizing that what she was seeing was real and seeing the message that she should touch Lord Denbury's hand, she falls into the painting meets the real Lord Denbury. She eventually promises to help her break the curse and give him his freedom.

I understand why Natalie wants to help him get out. Personally, it's not just as shallow as just because he is hot and she is desperate. She understands how it's like to be trapped. Despite the fact that her father sent her away because of her disability and people treating her like she is worth nothing, she doesn't let her disability define her. That message alone is truly important, especially in today's society where somehow, our self-worth is basically defined by how near to perfection we are. I am truly excited to read the next book in the series. My heart will definitely be doing somersaults once again!